Basic beginner smoothie (adapted from the Vitamix recipe for All Green Smoothie)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1 1/2 cup green grapes (can be frozen)
1/4-1/2 Avocado pitted
1 broccoli floret
1 cup kale, or spinach or combination, washed and de-stemmed or
1 cup ice
1. Place all ingredients in Vita mixer or similar processor in the order listed
2. select variable 1 speed
3. Turn machine on and quickly increase to variable 10 then to high speed
4. Blend for one minute or until desired consistency is reached
yield: 3 cups (720 ML)
Advanced after you start on the Basic Smoothie
1. Green tea (either freshly brewed 2 cups cold, or a teaspoon of Matcha Green tea powder (available online)
2. Turmeric- 1-2 teaspoons
3. Black pepper- Turmeric is not easily absorbed and combined with black pepper will increase absorbency
of the green tea.
4. Frozen or fresh berries- I use organic- In Seattle Costco has this amazing blend of frozen organic berries
that are a combination of blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate anvils, and strawberries. I usually add a cup
5. Cinnamon- 1 tablespoons
6. Nutmeg- 1/4 teaspoon
7. Ginger- 1 tablespoon- we use fresh ginger
8. Avocado- 1/2 small- Avocado is a healthy fat and gives the smoothie more flavor and fat is needed for
better absorption of the foods in smoothie. As a chef you realize that you try to satisfy the flavors of
sweet, salty, fat, and acid.
9. Broccoli- a cruciferious veggie that is high in leptin, fights cancer and is synergistic with the turmeric, green tea.
I add 2- 3 florets. (important to have raw).
10. Kale-1-2 cups de-stemmed and chopped
11. Non GMO Soy Lecithin- 2-3 T- I keep Lecithin refrigerated.
12.Whey Protein-one scoop from cows not treated with rBGH, look for one that does not add sugar or artificial sweetener- I use whole Foods brand.
13. 2-3 T Chia Seeds